Ottawa, Ontario , K1S 2L3
Fourth Avenue Baptist Church is looking for a shelter worker to provide support at our emergency shelter for homeless youths aged 16-24, on Wednesday and Thursday evenings and overnight.
Twice a week, Fourth Avenue Baptist Church transforms its lower level – complete with gymnasium, kitchen, bathroom, and showers – into an emergency shelter called Haven Too. Our goal is to provide youth with a hot meal, shower, toiletries, clean socks, and a safe place to sleep. We help connect youth with resources in the city to help them find housing, finish school, and receive services for addictions and mental health, services we do not provide ourselves.
A Successful Candidate Will:
- Be a reliable person of integrity
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English
- Be comfortable dealing with individuals under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and with individuals with mental health issues
- Ability to stay calm under stress and in potentially volatile situations
- Ability to maintain order, be assertive, and de-escalate conflict
- Ability to build rapport with our guests (youth aged 16-24)
- Show a commitment to the mission of the organization and to assisting homeless and at-risk youth
Duties Will Include:
- Setting up and tearing down the shelter
- Serving food and drink
- Dealing with conflict and ensuring the safety and security of our guests
- Supporting a harm reduction model
- Helping our guests in any way we are set up to
- Ability to communicate in spoken and written English
- Ability to provide a valid criminal check
- A demonstrable commitment to the mission of the shelter
- Ability to work shifts of anywhere between 3-12 hours between the hours of 8pm-10am on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Salary Range: $14.25-$15 per hour for 12-24 hours per week.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted Under: Ministry - General
Career ID: [ 9299 ]