BFM Foundation (Canada) is a national organization with over 50 thrift stores across Canada. The net revenue from all Mission Thrift Stores is devoted to Joint Ministry of BFM Foundation (Canada) and Bible League Canada. These funds are used to establish adult literacy programs, church planter training, children’s ministry programs, and distributes Bibles in 40 countries around the world. The stores operate primarily by dedicated volunteers.
Mission Thrift Store Burlington is currently seeking a Volunteer Board Member for the Treasurer position who understand and support the vision and purpose of BFM Foundation (Canada).
Board Members are responsible for board governance, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and bylaws, conducting board business effectively and efficiently and holding overall accountability for the organization. Board Members will be relied upon to assist with business development duties, including the creation of suitable and beneficial partnerships and assessing the Mission Thrift Store.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in community relations and relationship building, generally
- Ability to build relationships and work with volunteers, staff and community members.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate in a friendly and informative manner with people from a wide variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Organizational, strategic planning and implementation skills
- Experience in marketing, human resources, real estate, property management, insurance, or business management would be considered an asset.
Responsibilities, Qualifications and Attributes
Specific to Treasurer:
The Treasurer has an extremely important role to play in overseeing, managing or being responsible for the financial resources of the Mission Thrift Store. The Treasurer ensures that the records are kept properly, whether he/she does so, or if the responsibility is delegated. The Treasurer ensures that reports are made available to the board for the regular board meetings and that data and statistics are made available on a regular basis to the board, staff and volunteers. The Treasurer ensures that the Annual Financial Statements are prepared based upon a Review Engagement by a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) for the Annual General Meeting.
In all of these areas, the Treasurer is responsible for ensuring that effective financial systems and procedures are established, consistently followed and in line with best practices and legal requirements.
- Prepare daily or weekly reports on sales and related statistics
- Prepare monthly financial and statistical reports
- Prepare all reports in a timely manner
- Ensure that Annual Statements are prepared in a timely manner
- Explain the Annual Financial Statements to the Mission Thrift Store Members at the Annual General Meeting, plus additional statistics
- Submit Annual Financial Statements to BFM Foundation (Canada)
- Ensure all funds are counted and banked with proper cash controls in place
- Ensure all accounts payable, including government accounts, are paid in a timely manner
General Financial Oversight
- Oversee and present budgets, accounts, and financial statements to the Board
- Liaise with designated staff regarding financial matters
- Ensure that appropriate financial systems and controls are in place
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Ensure that record-keeping and accounts meet the conditions of statutory bodies
Funding, Fundraising and Sales
- Advise on the fundraising strategy of the Mission Thrift Store
- Ensure use of funds complies with conditions set by BFM Foundation (Canada)
- Ensure fundraising and sales complies with relevant legislation and is bound by effective financial systems and controls
- Ensure effective monitoring and reporting
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Prepare and present budgets
- Advise on financial implications of strategic and operational plans
- Present revised financial forecasts based on actual spending
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The Treasurer must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Bookkeeping and accounting procedures
- Volunteer and community sectors
The Treasurer must demonstrate the following skills:
- Prepare and understand budgets and financial reports
- Bookkeeping and accounting
- Sound understanding of risk management
- Critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying processes
- Computer literacy, including the ability to correspond by email, operate Excel and Word
The Treasurer must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Treasurer. The Treasurer must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest, trustworthy and respectful
- Demonstrate sound work ethics and personal integrity
- High level of integrity, confidentiality and accountability
Board Members will be expected to attend monthly/bi-monthly board meetings, Volunteer Appreciation events, Annual General Meetings. The position of Treasurer will take more time than that of a regular Board Member.
Board Members may be asked to attend the BFM Foundation (Canada) Annual Conference as a Voting Delegate in May, typically in London, Ontario.
If you feel you have the passion and skill set that would help to advance the purpose of Mission Thrift Store Burlington, we look forward to hearing from you! Please email your volunteer board member application to firstname.lastname@example.org
BFM (Burlington) Enterprises Society welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted Under: Executive
Career ID: [ 9305 ]