Elementary & High School Teachers
Elementary & High School Teachers
Wunnumin Lake, Ontario , P0V 2Z0
Lydia Lois Beardy Memorial School is a First Nations Community School located on the Wunnumin Lake First Nations Reservation in Wunnumin Lake, Ontario. It is a fly-in community that is in a remote part of Northern Ontario. The Lydia Lois Beardy Memorial School is a K-10 school that educates between 150 to 170 students.
Wunnumin Lake is an inviting and welcoming community; the community of Wunnumin Lake has many recreational opportunities include fishing, boating, hiking, ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and other outdoor activities. The community has multiple small community-run stores as well as a Northern Store for your grocery needs. There is a community-run gym facility. We have a fully and recently renovated Nursing Station that services the community health needs. The Community is home to two Christian churches. Our community is serviced by Wasaya Airways and we have flights daily Mon-Saturday. The community is also serviced by Canada Post.
Lydia Lois Beardy Memorial School is actively seeking innovative, creative, visionary educators who genuinely want to make a difference in their students’ lives. We strive to hire individuals or groups of educators who celebrate diversity, create synergy through teamwork and who will support student engagement and community partnerships.
We are looking for a teacher who is willing to work with our children in a way that nurtures the love of school. We want a teacher who sees and feels that living in the north is an adventure. To that point, you must be willing to relocate to and work in a remote community.
Qualifications and Responsibilities for Applicants
- Have a current Certificate of Qualification and Registration with the Ontario College of Teachers or be qualified to obtain one
- Certified by an accredited university (BA/BED/Teacher training program)
- (High School) Experience as a secondary school teacher
- Experience teaching in a First Nation school and/or teaching First Nation students
- Knowledge of First Nation education, First Nation cultures and lifestyles
- Aware of cutting-edge research-based teaching strategies in the area of Literacy and Numeracy
- Working knowledge of the Universal Design for Learning and Differentiated Instruction
- Knowledge of the three types of assessment and use different types of assessment strategies
- Ability to work with students at various levels of achievement
- Excellent computer and technology skills to support teacher instruction and student learning in the classroom
- Knowledge of and willingness to write, revise, edit and apply Individual Education Plans
Our high school teacher is responsible for teaching three courses per day. For the 2021/2022 school year, these courses are:
- Grade 9 Visual Art
- Grade 9 Applied Geography
- Grade 9 & 10 Applied Math
- Grade 9 & 10 Applied English
- Grade 10 Applied History
- Grade 10 Civics & Career Studies
- The Education Authority covers flights into Wunnumin Lake in the fall and home for the summer as part of your contract
- Teachers are provided with a fully furnished teacherage which includes laundry, full kitchen, 4 piece bathroom, double or queen size bed with bedding, towels and other linens, dishes/pots & pans, dining table with chairs, living room furniture, SmartTV & internet
- Rent is $400/month and covers everything but cable
- Pets are allowed
- The community is serviced by KNET for cell phone service. You can purchase a phone in the community.
- Phones that run on the TbayTel Mobile Network also work in Wunnumin Lake, for texting and calling.
- $1000.00 Signing Bonus
- Christmas and March Break Bonuses
- Christmas and March Break Travel Subsidy of $500.00
- Many opportunities for professional development throughout the school year
- Contract length: 12 months
How To Apply
All applications can be emailed to:
Rhoda Angees, Education Director
Email Subject Line: Application for Teaching Position via Christian Careers Canada
Applications must include:
- Cover Letter
- OCT Certification (If You are from out of Ontario, your provincial certification)
- QECO Rating (If You Have One)
- Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sectors Check
- 3 Professional References, include your most recent employer
- Recently graduated teachers please include your final student teaching assessments in place of your most recent employer
- Undergraduate Diplomas (BA. BEd, etc.)
- Other Information(AQ Completion Certificates, Coaching Credentials, etc.)
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency Status
All applicants must be Canadian Citizens or hold Canadian Permanent Residency and be legally able to live and work in Canada at the time of application. We do not accept applications from international applicants.
Posted Under: Education
Career ID: [ 9492 ]