Live-In Youth Mentor
Live-In Youth Mentor
Oakville, Ontario , L6H 7G5
The Live-In Youth Mentor has a central role in the operations of Oasis Youth Care Programs. This is a full-time position and is eligible for benefits including paid time off.
About our Organisation:
Based in Oakville - ON, Oasis Youth Care Programs provides a transitional home and wrap-around support services based on Christian values and biblical principles, resulting in positive life change for vulnerable racialized youth (16-21), who are ageing or aged out of care from the child protection systems and are at risk of homelessness.
More than a transitional house, Oasis Home is a program that offers life coaching, life-skills training, mentoring, spiritual guidance, education/employment and volunteering participation support.
The Live-In Youth Mentor will live in the program residence with the youth and will provide them with a strong role modelling while implementing a professional family-style program that emphasizes personal development and skill acquisition within a safe and stable environment to learn and grow.
The Live-In Youth Mentor will be involved in teaching independent living skills. The Live-In Youth Mentor administers the day-to-day operations of a family residence including documentation, basic domestic responsibilities, transportation and other assigned duties. The Live-In Youth Mentor will serve as an important member of the Services Team which regularly reviews each youth’s case to determine the appropriateness of services being delivered. The Live-In Youth Mentor reports directly to the Executive Director.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities are given as examples of the various types of work performed in this position. Essentially, this position provides oversight for all responsibilities in the house to ensure a safe, secure, and nurturing environment for all youth.
- Provide a safe, structured and nurturing learning environment for youth to grow and thrive.
- Encourage and uphold a healthy family relationship model incorporating Christian values and principles
- Ensure individual service plan goals, objectives, and strategies are designed, implemented and reviewed on an ongoing basis
- Use a best-practice model to help youth address challenges, develop healthy life skills, strengthen resilience, and build social supports
- Teach/help youth learn independent living skills and self-care habits such as learning to cook, clean, prep and manage an effective budget.
- Be responsible for timely and accurate communication within the program (e.g. incident reports, care plan updates, shift documentation).
- Advocate for youth by working closely with school personnel, therapists, physicians and other key professionals to ensure youth’s needs are being met.
- Assist in preserving youth’s cultural experiences by implementing culturally anchored activities when required.
- Maintain the home and furnishings in good condition; inform/advise management of any maintenance needs.
- Participate in training, conferences, meetings, projects, and other events provided to promote understanding and skills for the position.
- Assist in planning recreational and fun activities for youth in the house
- Connect youth to community resources that help build their individual goals
- Attend team review meetings and individual supervision to discuss youth and program-related issues.
- Be a positive role model for youth and co-workers while promoting a positive work environment.
- Ensure health and safety standards are always met within The Home
- High School Diploma plus relevant work experience required, college preferred.
- At least twenty-five (25) years of age; may be single or a couple
- One year minimum experience involving supervision of a group of teenagers, or experience of a practical nature in working with youth
- Strong Christian character and nurturing lifestyle as documented by 2 strong references
- Maturity and sensitivity to cultural and individual differences
- Willing and able to do basic home cleaning and maintenance duties
- Strong verbal and written communication skills adequate to teach skills, give instructions, discuss strategies, and conduct extensive conversations by telephone/email.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule
- High degree of endurance and ability to work under pressure and in crisis situations. Able to exhibit emotional control, patience and persistence in stressful situations
- Excellent organizational skills and time management abilities
- Must have basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work and comply with all our organizational guidelines and policies collaboratively, respectfully and fostering good team spirits
- Must pass extensive personal, criminal and vulnerable sector background checks
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 9541 ]