Missionary Insect Farmer Entrepreneur
Missionary Insect Farmer Entrepreneur
St. Catherines, Outside Canada/International
Work Location: Overseas - in Africa or Asia or possibly in the west with regular travel to the field and remote supervision
FTE: 1.0 FTE (Full-time)
Katalyst World Partners (KATALYST) is a community of Jesus-followers who long to see disciples of Christ in every nation. To this end, in partnership with like-minded disciple-making ministries around the world, we seek to extend their reach and magnify their impact. By focusing on sustainable catalysts such as: Education, Agriculture, Midwifery and Entrepreneurship, we provide physical and spiritual hope in Jesus’ name.
KATALYST has plans to develop a model Black Soldier Fly Larvae operation in Africa or Asia for the purpose of training, demonstrating, and resourcing indigenous Christian workers in Africa and Asia to be “tentmaking” entrepreneurs.
Reporting initially to the Executive Director, the Missionary Insect Farmer Entrepreneur is responsible to lead our vision of developing a model Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL) operation: training, modeling and resourcing. Black Soldier Fly Larvae is a clean and sustainable food source which can be used as an alternative protein additive in animal feed for poultry or pig farming and aquaculture. The production facility will be operated as a business and will position itself to generate a profit for the purpose of supporting its own activities and extending the vision of enabling indigenous workers to support themselves through enterprise.
Key Job Functions
- In collaboration with local experts, create a 'model production facility.’ The ‘model production facility’ will include sourcing of feed, design and construction of grow containers, growing of BSF, BSF breeding, processing and packaging of BSFL.
- Identify market opportunities and help trainees develop BSFL enterprises
- Provide consultation and support for trainees as they grow their respective enterprises
- Manage the model production facility as a demo farm for training purposes
- Curate and/or develop training materials
- Identify and communicate opportunities for process and quality improvements and provide feedback on usage, issues; suggest enhancements
- Maintain up to date best practices with current and most effective learning strategies
- Identify opportunities for sales of BSFL to be used in animal feed and establish relationships for sales opportunities
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of KATALYST
- Be a servant leader, balancing expertise with humility
- Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent training/experience, preferably related to business; with several years’ experience leading a business venture
- Experience working with Black Soldier Flies is preferred, or experience raising other insects such as crickets or meal worms
- Computer skills, proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Proficiency with project coordination and project management skills
- Strong and helpful customer service attitude, exercising tact, diplomacy and discretion when dealing with others
- Excellent organizational skills including setting priorities, multi-tasking and meeting deadlines
- Ability to provide effective training and ongoing support to farmers
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Able to work independently and strongly self-motivated
- Christian Faith: A deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal spiritual growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth; show that you are a person of character and conviction
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, as well as good interpersonal skills
- Able to work remotely as part of a small-sized non-profit global organization
- Previous cross-cultural experience is preferred
- Knowledge of foreign languages is an asset
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 9562 ]