Ancaster, Ontario , L9K 1J4
For nearly 40 years, Redeemer University has stood out across Canada for its commitment to a Christian undergraduate liberal arts and sciences education that develops the whole person. Rooted in a Reformed Biblical worldview, and including a diverse community representing over 50 Christian denominations, Redeemer seeks to answer the fundamental questions about where we fit into God’s story while it prepares students to engage in society’s biggest challenges. A rigorous academic program with an interdisciplinary core is supported by a vibrant community characterized by caring discipleship. The result is an enriching and transformational educational experience integrating faith, learning and service.
Redeemer offers 34 majors and streams that lead to either a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Education or Bachelor of Business Administration degree. Redeemer currently serves nearly 900 students and its faculty are engaged in teaching, service to the community, and research, some of which is supported in part by the Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), and other funding agencies and donors.
A privately funded and publicly chartered institution, Redeemer offers excellent Christ-centred undergraduate teaching, strong investments in research, rich student-faculty interaction, and unique opportunities for experiential and holistic learning. As a member of Universities Canada, Redeemer produces graduates who are accepted into graduate programs across the continent and beyond. In recent national surveys, Redeemer students have ranked the school as one of the top universities in Canada for overall student satisfaction, especially for providing a nurturing and challenging academic environment along with its warm on-campus community.
Located on a beautiful 86-acre campus in Hamilton, Ontario, Redeemer operates under a charter from the Government of Ontario and is a member of Universities Canada (UC), the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU), and the Canadian Council of Christian Charities (CCCC).
- Monitor conditions of campus facilities including buildings and grounds to ensure department standards and community expectations are met – this includes all aspects of the building envelope and finishes, and mechanical and electrical systems, etc.
- Develop preventive maintenance schedules and oversee completion
- Hire, train and manage the performance of maintenance employees
- Prioritize, plan and schedule maintenance repairs and projects
- Respond to after-hours emergencies, call in appropriate staff and/or contractors to resolve problems
- Assist the director, physical plant & security by recommending improvements, energy saving initiatives and actions and supervises completion of tendered repair and renovation projects
- Assist in budget preparation and obtaining best value for goods and services
- Acts for the director in his/her absence
- Provide design input for new building projects and renovations, etc.
Preferred Skills and Attributes
- Must have a practical working knowledge of building construction and mechanical systems
- Supervisory experience for a small department of skilled tradesmen
- Problem solving skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively with faculty, staff and students as required in any given situation
- Must be able to handle the stress of competing demands on time and resources and emergency situations
- Must have a working knowledge of building and fire codes and health and safety regulations
- Understanding of, and commitment to Redeemer University (mission, values, and Reformed Christian identity)
- Combined work experience and education which includes licensure/certificates in one or more related trade disciplines and a certificate or diploma in construction/facility maintenance management or related institutional/industrial/commercial experience
- 5 years’ experience in building maintenance or construction
Position Reports to: Director, Physical Plant & Security
Submit Applications to: HR@redeemer.ca (please quote Position Title in Subject line)
Expiry Date: posted until filled (applications will be reviewed upon submission; please apply asap)
Applicants are requested to email their application materials (cover letter, resume, and statement of faith) in one combined pdf document. The statement of faith should articulate your faith perspective and its relation to the mission of Redeemer University. A range of qualifications are evaluated including distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate congruence with our identity as a university in the Protestant and Reformed Christian tradition. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted Under: Management
Career ID: [ 9618 ]