Assistant Pastor - Youth & Family
Assistant Pastor - Youth & Family
Melfort, Saskatchewan , S0E 1A0
Melfort Evangelical Covenant Church (MECC) is searching for a full-time assistant pastor with a clear calling and heart for youth and families in an established and vibrant Covenant church in north-east Saskatchewan.
History of MECC
With roots in the Covenant Church dating back to 1910, MECC adheres to the centrality of the Word of God as the only perfect rule for faith, doctrine, and conduct. MECC has a current membership of about 90, with an average Sunday attendance of between 120 and 160 people across a broad range of ages. With a strong emphasis on spiritual growth and development, MECC offers weekly Sunday school classes across all age groups, various mid-week Bible studies, and care groups. Although we have an active and vibrant congregation, we also desire to be a church that serves our community well and reaches it with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Our mission statement… “To know Jesus Christ and to make Him known”.
Our church facility, built in 1991, is well used by various church and community groups throughout the week, which fits our goals of both teaching and growing our members, and serving our community.
Melfort, the “City of Northern Lights”, is nestled in Saskatchewan’s great North-East, a land dominated by fertile farmland and a variety of forests, lakes and recreational areas. With a population of just under 6,000, you’re rarely more than 5 minutes away from where you want to be. Melfort offers a small town atmosphere with small city amenities, including a number of restaurants and enough local retail to meet most daily needs. However, Melfort is also located less than an hour from Prince Albert, less than two hours from Saskatoon, and three hours from Regina.
- A genuine disciple of Jesus Christ who demonstrates a commitment to growing in faith and prayer, in line with the New Testament description of a spiritual leader (I Timothy 3:1-7).
- Someone with an authentic walk with the Lord while growing in Christ-like character.
- A person who, though hard-working and passionate, also knows how to balance professional
- Christian ministry with time for personal and family development.
- The ability to listen and engage with others lovingly and respectfully.
Our desire is to hire someone with the necessary training and experience. Education is a priority for us, but we will consider anyone who provides evidence of a passion and aptitude & experience with youth and family ministries. Priority will be given to someone with educational training in youth ministry or Christian education. An undergraduate degree or seminary level training would be preferable, but not mandatory.
- A knowledge for God’s word and a gifting to teach scripture.
- High level leadership, communication and organizational skills in order to recruit, equip, and
- lead the various teams, ministries and programs under your responsibility.
- A person who has good people skills, relating to all ages, building relationships naturally and intentionally with people in the church as well as in the community.
- Ministry credentials, or the willingness to pursue credentialing with the Evangelical Covenant Church of Canada (ECCC).
- Administrative abilities necessary to maintain good records, create and follow budgets, and to provide timely and relevant reporting.
- Skills to leverage digital tools in ministry.
- A person willing to embrace a life-style typical of a more rural, north-east Saskatchewan kind of community (that may include camping, fishing, hunting, riding around on farm equipment, etc.).
- Willingness to be mentored and continue to grow in the role of pastoral ministry.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
Because we are a gospel-centered church that teaches children & youth the way of Jesus and forms them deeply in the Christian faith; We are looking for someone who:
- Will work alongside and provide leadership to existing ministry leaders.
- Has the ability to inspire individuals as we continue to meet the spiritual needs of our church family.
- Is willing to participate in the whole life of the church and community.
- Provide leadership, planning and pastoral oversight for an engaging, organized, biblically-based Sunday School experience.
- Continues to study and grow in spiritual disciplines in their own relationship with Christ (which may include, but not limited to, ECCC conferences, continued education, etc.).
- Presently we have a weekly Tweens meeting that has about 30 grade 5-6 youths. We also have a monthly community grade 5 & 6 event that ranges from 30 to 60 students.
- Other opportunities for children’s ministry within the church and community.
- Oversee youth activities that foster relationships with God and one another.
- Every youth ministry will look different but our desire is to help youth from our church and community find a pathway to a personal and vibrant relationship with Jesus.
- Communicate regularly with youth, their parents and the ministry volunteers.
- Presently, we have weekly and bi-weekly meetings that consist of around 30 youth.
- Occasional preaching opportunities.
- In coordination with the senior pastor, provide pastoral leadership in the church body and community (which may include hospital visitation, weddings, or funerals).
- Participation in the life of the staff team including team meetings, leadership meetings, one-on-ones, etc.
Compensation & Benefits:
- MECC provides a salary and benefits package comparable with standards established by the
- Evangelical Covenant Church of Canada, while also considering education and experience of the applicant.
Interested candidates, please send us the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest and what specifically attracts you to this position.
- A resume or CV.
- 3 current and relevant references.
- Links to audio sermons, blogs or other writings if available.
Please send all information in one email to: Pastor Kors Pater - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: receipt of application will be acknowledged; however, only those being considered for the position will receive follow-up communication, at which time a current criminal record check will need to be submitted.
Presently the date for receiving applications is January 31, 2022, with a start date as mutually agreed upon.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 9748 ]