Toronto, Ontario , M5T 2G3
The Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is the vibrant, local Christian development agency that is leading a collective movement – going beyond meeting immediate needs – offering holistic programs and a pathway to transform the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto. Since 1896, YSM has provided wraparound support and services, making it possible for individuals, families, and communities to move forward. We believe if we combine our collective resources and wisdom, together we can reach our goal of ending chronic poverty in a generation. If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true calling to contribute to our work in transforming the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto from merely surviving to thriving, then this is where you belong.
We are seeking a part-time kitchen assistant to work at our Evergreen drop-in centre. If you enjoy providing support to a wide variety of street-involved youth through serving in kitchen department, then this is your opportunity! You will develop skills in working in a kitchen environment, building relationships with volunteers and student placements, and connecting with hard-to-reach populations -- an environment where we value journeying with and empowering community members towards life goals. The kitchen is a major reason youth value our space as we provide nourishment for them in their journey.
- Primarily assisting the Evergreen Kitchen Coordinator in all tasks involved so that the cook can provide daily meals to our community members
- Receiving and lifting boxes of daily deliveries, cleaning dishes, organizing pantry, serving meals,
- Cultivating excellent working relationships with community members, staff, food donors and suppliers- foster cooperation, effective communication and unity of purpose between food services programs and other Evergreen Services programs
- Maintaining a clean, welcoming, user-friendly efficient kitchen environment which is used by multiple groups.
- Good English communication skills, both oral and written
- Good interpersonal skills, conflict resolution skills, and problem solving skills
- Able to follow instructions well
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Must be at least 18 years old and able to commit at least 20-22.5 hours a week. Work days to be discussed
- Demonstrated commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
Deadline for Application:
This posting will remain open until the position is filled
January 4, 2022
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
December 16, 2021
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 9785 ]