Pastoral Ministry Intern
Pastoral Ministry Intern
Ottawa, Ontario , K1S 2L3
The Pastoral Ministry Intern will have the opportunity to work with youth aged 16-24 experiencing homelessness or insecurity in their housing in downtown Ottawa.
Twice a week, Fourth Avenue Baptist Church transforms its lower level complete with kitchen, bathrooms, and showers, into an emergency shelter called Haven Too. Our goal is to provide youth with a hot meal, shower, toiletries, clean socks, and a safe place to spend the night and sleep. We help connect youth with resources in the city to help them find housing, finish school, and receive services for addictions and mental health, services we do not provide ourselves.
A Successful Candidate will Have:
- A commitment to the mission of the organization and to assisting homeless and at-risk youth.
- Relevant education (theology, biblical studies, pastoral ministry, youth ministry, child and youth worker); experience (professional or volunteer); and/or a compelling story about why they feel called to this ministry.
- A vibrant faith in Christ, a pragmatic and unobtrusive approach to missiology and ministry.
- Empathy, an ability to connect with people, and an ability to build rapport with our guests (youth aged 16-24) while maintaining healthy boundaries. (Experience doing so would be a plus).
- Heart for and ability to work and interact with individuals with mental health issues and behavioral challenges including addictions issues. (Comfort working with individuals under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol).
- Ability to stay calm under stress and in potentially volatile situations.
- Ability to maintain order and security, be assertive, and effectively de-escalate conflict.
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English.
- Ability to interact positively with people of all backgrounds - guests, volunteers, staff, donors, and management.
- Comfortable using smart phones, computers, email, and Google Suite (especially Sheets). (Have a smart phone).
Nice to Have:
- A vehicle and driver's license would be a big plus (free parking on-site).
- A valid vulnerable sector check (will have to provide one if you do not have one already).
- First Aid certification.
Hours and Pay:
- Wednesday and Thursday nights: 8:30pm-1am.
- Flexible to cover overnight if needed (1am-9am).
- Term: Until April 2022 (Possibility of extension or expansion of role).
- Pay rate: $15/hr for 10 hrs a week. (9 on-site and 1 hour of development and training).
How to Apply:
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter explaining your interest in working at Haven Too and what makes you a good fit for the role. Formal experience and education are welcome, but experience and education can take many forms. Explain your calling to this ministry to stand out.
Applications without a resume and cover letter will not be responded to.
Position will remain open until filled, applications will be considered as they come. Don't delay, apply today!
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 9865 ]